Emotion regulation involves noticing and shifting your emotional state. It’s a skill which involves noticing and managing your feelings as they occur. The benefits of regulating your emotions are numerous. They include improved mental health, better relationships, greater levels of personal wellbeing and higher levels of career success. So how can you tap into the power of emotion regulation?
Here are 5 simple ways to regulate your emotions.
- Slow your breathing. This works by regulating your automatic nervous system, essentially fooling your body into becoming relaxed.
- Ask yourself what you’re feeling. Awareness is the first step towards shifting your emotions.
- Change your self-talk. This involves challenging your own thoughts and finding new ways to interpret your situation.
- Focus on the here and now. Mindful attention exercises can help you do this.
- Generate some positive emotions. Watch a funny video or gaze at an inspiring photo. This helps you shift states and begin to feel more resilient.
By using these tips daily, you can master the art of emotion regulation. Which means you’ll be much better equipped to handle challenging situations at work.
About the author of this tip:
Eleanor Shakiba is a positive psychology trainer. She has helped over 50,000 people to build confidence, presence and impact at work. Her passion is working with the ‘positive deviants’ in organisations – equipping them to think creatively and produce exceptional results. Eleanor is the author of the Positive Psychology Toolkit for HR and L&D practitioners. She also runs a range of retreats and workshops for trainers and facilitators.
Want to train your people in emotion regulation skills? Call Eleanor Shakiba. 0433 126 841