How do you build and maintain credibility as a leader? In order to be a credible leader, you need to be authentic, passionate, knowledgeable, consistent, humble and strategic. Let’s take a closer look at each of these tips.
- Be authentic: People can see through inauthenticity, so it’s important to be genuine in your interactions with others. Wear your heart on your sleeve and let your true personality show. This will make you more likable and trustworthy.
- Be passionate: When you’re truly passionate about something, it shows. Share your enthusiasm for your work with others and let them see the dedication that you have to your goals. This will inspire them to want to work with you and help you achieve your objectives.
- Be knowledgeable: It’s important to know what you’re talking about if you want people to take you seriously. Be sure to do your research and have a firm understanding of the topics that you’re discussing. If you don’t know something, say so and admit when you don’t have all the answers.
- Be consistent: People need stability in their lives and they appreciate consistency in their leaders. Be reliable and predictable in your actions so that people can count on you to follow through on what you say.
- Be humble: No one likes a bossy boots, so remember to keep your ego in check. Modesty is key when it comes to being a credible leader. Let your accomplishments speak for themselves and avoid taking all the credit for yourself.
- Be strategic: Plans are only successful if they are executed well, so it’s important to be thoughtful and deliberate when making decisions. Take the time to consider all of the possible outcomes before making a move and make sure that your actions are aligned with your goals
Free e-book and video tips.
Get your copy today!
So how can you make sure that you are seen as credible? One key is to be honest and authentic in your actions and communications. Don’t try to be someone you’re not; people will see through that quickly. Stay true to your values and beliefs, and let your actions reflect them. It’s also important to be consistent in your behaviour; if you say one thing but do another, people will lose faith in you.
You can also build credibility by being helpful. Offer your knowledge and expertise freely, and be willing to help others achieve their goals. And finally, don’t be arrogant or self-important. Remember that you’re not the only one who can lead; there is always room for improvement. humility is a key trait of successful leaders.
Find out more in the original article here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brentgleeson/2016/07/08/6-tips-for-building-and-maintaining-credibility-as-a-leader/?sh=4d3b0c8d3424
This article summary was created by Eleanor Shakiba
Eleanor is a leadership trainer, success coach and people skills expert. She helps managers and business owners build thriving teams and organisations, using tools from Positive Psychology. She's trained more than 60,000 people during her career as a corporate trainer and professional development consultant. Her mission is inspiring talented people to become leaders who make a difference.